PENNSYLVANIA, U.S. - Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has said he would pursue legal recourse against all the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct in recent weeks, ...
• Trump accused Hillary Clinton's campaign for bringing to light his alleged sexual misdemeanours
• Clinton, in response, said Trump is a danger to America’s democratic traditions
• Adult film star Jessica Drake became the latest to accuse Trump of sexual misconduct
PENNSYLVANIA, U.S. - Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has said he would pursue legal recourse against all the women who have accused him of sexual misconduct in recent weeks, overshadowing the much-hyped unveiling of his first 100-day agenda.
Trump, expectedly, didn't stop short of putting the blame on Hillary Clinton's campaign for bringing to light his alleged sexual misdemeanours.
"Every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign... Total fabrication. The events never happened. Never. All of these liars will be sued after the election is over," Trump said, addressing a rally in Pennsylvania.
"It was probably the (Democratic National Committee) and Hillary's campaign who put forward these liars with their fabricated stories," he said. "But we'll probably find out later through litigation, which we're so looking forward to.”
In the past few weeks, 11 women have come forward accusing Trump of inappropriately touching them, the latest being adult film performer Jessica Drake.
The allegations gathered steam after a leaked 2005 hotmic audio and videotape showed Trump bragging about being able to grope women and get away with it due to his celebrity and ‘star’ status, proving to be a death knell for his presidential prospects.
Shortly after Trump's announcement, Clinton, speaking to reporters on her campaign plane, said, "Our opponent, Donald Trump, went to Gettysburg, one of the most extraordinary places in American history... and basically said if he’s president he will spend his time suing women who have made charges against him based on his behaviour.”
Earlier on Saturday, Clinton addressed a rally of 1,800 people at Pittsburgh, emphasising that Trump is a danger to America’s democratic traditions. Inability to accept election results, however disappointing, is the difference between “leadership and dictatorship,” she said, adding Trump showed a troubling disregard for constitutional ethos.
Meanwhile, some of the allegedly aggrieved women quickly took to Twitter to counter Trump's legal threats.
Lisa Bloom, who has accused Trump of making unwanted sexual advances at her twice in the early 1990s, wrote, "If Trump sues accusers we then have subpoena power to require not only Trump but all his enablers to appear for depositions. A field day."
Temple Taggart, who had accused Trump of kissing her without consent, said she wasn't taken aback by the announcement.
"Regardless, it's still disappointing to think that Mr. Trump lacks enough humility and decency to simply come clean and admit his part in all of this rather than attempt to conceal the truth and silence his accusers by threatening a lawsuit," Taggart said.
However, an attorney representing three of Trump's accusers asserted that women will not be "intimidated into silence" by such "bullying tactics.